Monday, September 14, 2009

a big deal



Last night we attended a meeting at the Tabernacle on Temple Square that was a worship service for the Baptist church. The music was very well done and the speaker was enthralling.

Nick Vujicic spoke. He has no arms and no legs. His attitude is wonderful and he had a way of making his worship of Christ a big deal. I think that is inherent in the Baptist faith.

The baptists are very passionate about their worship. They make it a big deal. They make prayer a big deal. Coming unto Christ is important to them.

So what can I learn about my religious devotion from them. Well, I can rely on the Lord more. I can pay more attention to what God wants me to do and when and where He would like me to be.

Secondly, I can pray with more devotion. I often need a reminder to make my prayers more sincere and with real intent.

Thirdly, I can make my religion a big deal in my life. Living in Utah where so many people are LDS, I find myself giving more attention to my social religious experience and less to my personal religion. I am probably not alone in that one. I also know that Christ loves us personally as well as collectively. And my personal worship needs to be a bigger deal to me. My scripture study, temple attendance, personal service I give to others are all ways I can make my personal conviction a bigger deal. My lesson on Sunday to the 12-13 year old boys was on tithing. And it occurred to me during that lesson that we are in a partnership with the Lord (idea by Elder Robert D. Hales) when we pay our tithing. Well, also we are his stewards in service. So, as a partner and as a steward, it is a big deal... NOT I am a big deal... but the work I am involved with is a big deal... this much is true.

I am grateful I was invited to attend this worship service. It was a nice reminder of some of the promises I have made to my Father in Heaven in my life.

And one more thing... I liked what Nick said about what will happen when he meets the Lord after he dies... The Lord might say something to the effect of “Well done thou good and faithful... now who did you bring with you?” Because certainly we are to proclaim the saving power of Christ to all. We all need it. And we all need to enter into a covenant through the priesthood authority given to His servants in order to enjoy the fulness of His plan for us.

I want to take just a minute and bear my solemn witness that the Bible is the word of God and that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. The Lord has given us a living prophet on the earth, even Thomas S. Monson, who holds the keys of the kingdom. Therein, he holds the keys of the sealing power, whereby we can be sealed by the priesthood (power) of God to those we love and to God himself. There is no other way than through the atonement of Jesus Christ that we can live with God and like God with those we love (our families) for eternity.

And as the Baptists say, Praise Jesus.

No comments: