Thursday, October 30, 2008

love of reading

so exciting! Amber has been so faithful in reading to the kids every day - even numerous times in the same day at times. And, of course, we read the scriptures in the evening time with the kids (about 70%) of days. Well, Spence is getting very fluid in his reading, but he hasn't grasped the joy yet... until yesterday. These are the rewards of parenting. One of Spence's duties is to read 20 minutes a day. He often needs prodding to gather his books together (usually gets through 4 easy books in a session)... lots of prodding. But once he has them he whips through 'em and he's onto other ('funner') things.

Well, yesterday he was requiring some warm-iron prodding, and I told him I would pick his books. I grabbed a challenging but smaller book and a larger (chapter-like book). He finished reading the smaller book to me, and then gasped a bit when I pulled out the larger book -that same gasp I give when seeing a large book I want to read, but don't think I will take the time to conquer. So he began... got cooking through it... wanted to stop one time into it... and then we had a little talk about exploring what happens, and that Spence has the power to explore this book to find out what happens. And then it happened. I had to tell him it was time to go to pray and hit the rack. "Just two more pages," he begged. This morning he grabbed the book so that he could read on the way to school in the car... (BIG smile on my face right now!)
Here is a picture taken Jan 07.
reflection on learning

1 comment:

Suzie said...

A similar thing is happening to Emma. It makes me giddy!
So fun to see your children find something good that they love.
Great job, Amber & Tyler.
AND SPENCE!

(I'm dying to know what book it is. I may have to ask him:)