Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day


It's late on Father's Day, and the house is quiet. I am reminiscing about my father's good influence on me... so I must write.

1. He taught me to enjoy traveling. From traveling within the fine state of Utah to around the globe. He taught me to appreciate other cultures and peoples.

2. He taught me to love scouting. He supported my scouting endeavors, went on many camping trips and other adventures with me. He taught me many important skills and much knowledge as we worked on merit badges together.

3. He taught me discipline. He is a hard worker and enjoys working, especially in the yard. He taught me to discipline myself in school and at work in order to feel good about an honest days work. And to enjoy the fruits of my labor. Even sending me to the ranch for a couple of weeks to haul hay (with a tractor) when I was about 14.

4. He taught me to have many interests. My dad encouraged me to be a well-rounded person. He supported me in sports and recreation, in musical talents and hobbies, scouting, working (picking pineapple when I was 15) and many other hobbies along the way... from doing magic shows to caring for multiple pets.

5. ...to be faithful to my family and my religion, by his example of a faithful steward.

6. ...to be neat, orderly, and clean. If not by example, by principle. No, he taught me to be clean and organized, even though he and my mother can be considered a little bit pack-rat-like.

7. ...to have confidence in myself and in my abilities to contribute to my family and my community.

8. ...to set my goals high and work to achieve them. He always ensured that I set goals and reviewed them often. He gave me encouragement to work towards them and gave me ideas of how to accomplish them.

9. ... to be frugal; yet willing to give to those in need. Many times I saw him secretly give money to families in need, anonymously.

10. ...to value relationships. My dad knows many people and values their relationships. He makes friends wherever he goes. And he remembers those friendships.

11. ...to be assertive, not agressive; just assertive. A man needs to stick up for himself, his family, his religion, and his freedom. Those things that are of value to him.

12. ...to value the gospel of Jesus Christ... missionary work, temple work, and our personal covenants with our Heavenly Father.

Well, thanks Dad for all you have done for me and all you do now. Thanks for loving and accepting Amber and me. And thanks for being such a great grand-dad too.

I love you. You are "the world's greatest dad" to me.

2 comments:

Melanie Palmer said...

Aahh, so sweet! I love your dad too ;)

Amber said...

Love it! That is a wonderfully long list!