Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Traverse to work... (aka "head in the clouds")

With the winter creeping upon us, I revel in the dawn of the day for 20 minutes in my red ice box. Climb in, pull away from the driveway while white fairies dismount my hood and windows; they are swept away in the wind. The mountains all around are still dressed in the clouds they slept in. Birds are a flurry above. A couple of gulls fly cross-wind on their morning commute. Next a desperate flock of starlings are chased by a hungry and aggressive kestrel. My heart is in the heavens, my eyes are on the road... at times. Evidence of strong winds is found in the quickly jogging clouds that skim the earth: the flag we call freedom straightened in the breeze. A lone duck, who may have missed the Southern boat, catches a glance from my eye. The sun pierces through, but only from a moment. It seems to have just reached it's summit on top of Mount Timpanogos. Into the Salt Lake Valley I settle, and the day has begun. Another day. A beautiful morning.

No comments: