Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Historical

I thought the inauguration speech of Barack Obama was very inspiring. I am not a Democrat, but the race is over, and Obama is leading our country as the president. If you missed it, this site has the best audio version of the speech that I have found out there. In addition, you can read it here. Briefly, I enjoyed the hope, the work ethic, the personal responsibility, the humility, the unity, the volunteer service, and the commitment to our country that President Obama spoke of. I thought he was a little critical of past regimes, but I felt his respect for the good in the history of America. I didn't understand what he meant by "restore science to its rightful place" That one could go either way. I like his sense of involving all faiths (or lack thereof) and his respect for God and faith in his personal convictions. He didn't speak of the more controversial points like same-sex bonds (I feel the term same-sex marriage is a contradiction in terms) or abortion. But he did speak of leaving Iraq responsibly and outlasting the terrorist enemies (not sure what outlast means).
At any rate, I am glad he realizes that he is not the savior of our times, like it sounds like some are feeling. Instead, he reminds us that we need to step up, meet the trying times with dignity and continue to live by our values and faith that have helped shape America thus far.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Perfectly said. I feel that some treat him as a deliverer of sorts, but he is the Commander in Chief. Here's to optimism...